LMA Was Kinda Right

Drawing out and aggregating the musings, expressions, rants, drawings, textual weavings, and otherwise passionate craftings of and between four not-ficticious, not-so-little women. And their momma.

Friday, November 19, 2004

C is for Catholic school

I don't like to talk about religion too much lately, but this Catholic crap we went through was really messed up.
This is where the messing with our minds began Beth. It wasn't that we were out of a great small way of life, it was that we were young and for some reason we were randomly placed in a religious school. The only thing I remeber about church from Batavia is Jolie up on stage doing the Bunny hop. and chewing on the pews.
They are good memories, and then we got dressed up in uniform and I think I lost my dressup dress in the move to oak lawn.
Catholic school is where I got caught cheating. And sure, maybe I needed a little discipline, seeing that I was blackmailing kids in 2nd grade and throwing boys around the playground with Beth and threatening them with my BIG SISTERS. But no one deserved CCD, another C-word.
I knew how to recite the whole mass. And that is where I started questioning my motive with religion. I learned about the Nazis brainwashing the Germans, yes, Nazis and Catholicism. I believed that I was being brainwashed into something I didn't believe in. I only knew the words, but when I started listening to what I was repeating in church I didn't believe a word I was saying.
And somehow, the churchgoer in me lost out to my curiousity.
I wanted to think for myself and the catholic church and all it teaching was just banking on the fact that we'd just blindly believe.
But the catholic church never met 4 girls who were raised to think for themselves. And speak out when we saw something was wrong, or if it was uncomfortable for us.
Don'tcha think that if we never had to meet a nun we might have been more "normal"?
Nevrmind I'm named after a nun...
but don't get me started.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home